There is so much information being shared about NDIS funding, it’s hard to know what’s right and what’s not. Here, we answer five common questions about NDIS funding.
1. I have heard conflicting reports about who is in charge of my NDIS funding. Someone told me my therapist will have the ultimate say, while another person said that my planner will be the decision maker. Which is right?
If you’re confused about who is in charge of your funding when the NDIS rolls out, you’re not alone! The NDIS model is all about putting you (the person with the disability) in control. After all, who knows better than you, what you need to live your life to the fullest? Your therapist and planner (if you have one) are there to help you make the right decisions, but ultimately the choice is yours.
2. My therapist says I can’t use a particular supplier that I would really like to use. Is this right?
No, you have the right to choose the supplier you want. No one can tell you which supplier to use. Of course, your therapist may have a very good reason for recommending a particular supplier, so discuss this with them. But ultimately, the choice is yours.
The charter of the NDIS is to give you more choice and control over how, when and where your products, services and supports are provided, during your lifetime. It allows you to choose your level of involvement as you plan, make decisions and manage your support.
3. Is Equipment Servicing covered in my NDIS Plan?
To live life to the fullest, many people with a disability utilise mobility equipment that may require ongoing servicing and/or repairs. As this equipment is vital to assist your mobility, it’s important that it remains in optimal working order.
With this in mind, equipment servicing can be included, but you will need to allow for it in your NDIS Plan. For example, if you have a power chair, you may choose to budget a specific amount of money per year to have the chair serviced and repaired (if required). When purchasing a chair, ask your supplier if they have an Equipment Service Plan available. It may save you a lot of angst in the future.
4. How do I know what other kind of supports I can and can’t receive through the NDIS?
The NDIS funds reasonable and necessary supports that must either:
- be associated with day to day living
- be a resource to help you live an ordinary life
- help you build the skills you need to live the life you want.
A support will not be funded if it:
- is not related to the participant’s disability
- duplicates other supports already funded by a different mechanism through the NDIS
- relates to day-to-day living costs that are not related to a participant’s support needs
- is likely to cause harm to the participant or pose a risk to others.
5. How will I know when I can start accessing the NDIS?
The NDIS is progressively rolling out in Queensland. Click here to see the planned roll out dates.
Power Mobility is proud to be an NDIS Registered Provider
As a long-time provider of quality mobility equipment for people living with a disability, Power Mobility is now an NDIS Registered Provider. We recognise the vital need for a system that delivers on the promise of real choice and gives you greater power to decide which products and services you need.
Power Mobility has an extensive range of wheelchairs and mobility aids which are eligible for NDIS funding. We also understand the importance of having someone you can rely on to maintain, service and repair your equipment. That’s why we offer a convenient mobile service and repair centre through our sister company, GS Electronics – a trusted and experienced service provider for over 30 years.
GS Electronics specialise in both workshop and mobile servicing and repairs of all types and brands of rehabilitation and mobility equipment, including power wheelchairs, electric beds, pressure mattresses, bathroom equipment, plus much more. The experienced technicians are fully trained to conduct the most complex electrical and mechanical repairs, alterations and customisations, so you can stay mobile.
To find out more about how you can access our products and services with your NDIS funding, please call 07 3265 4633 to talk to one of our friendly team or drop into our showroom.